SEL Professional Learning Community
DuPage Regional Office of Education, Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning, District Partnership
In 2010, DROE partnered with the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL) to develop successful strategies to support the implementation of high-quality SEL as an integral component of school improvement. The two organizations formed a partnership and have worked closely together over the past three years to support DuPage districts in building capacity to implementation SEL system-wide and ultimately to create a replicable model for SEL implementation to inform a national movement. This includes ongoing professional development, communication with stakeholders, evaluating practices and outcomes for improvement, and nurturing partnerships with families and communities. The partnership is mutually beneficial and allows both organizations to fulfill their respective missions.
The initiative has proven successful in that the first cohorts of six DuPage school districts (West Chicago District 33, Downers Grove District 58, Lisle District 202, Medinah District 11, Hinsdale High School District 86 and DuPage School District 45) have received targeted support to develop the internal capacity to address SEL. Funding from NoVo Foundation in 2012-2013 provided the support needed to continue work with the first cohort of partnering districts and to provide ongoing SEL training and coaching to three additional DuPage districts in the county (Keeneyville 20, Queen Bee District 16 and Wheaton-Warrenville CUSD 200).
The Partnership has been supported by funding from the Novo Foundation to provide:
- CASEL coaching to three new partnership districts: Glen Ellyn District 89, Queen Bee District 16, Keeneyville District 20 and Wheaton-Warrenville CUSD 200; continued coaching to the three second year partnership districts Medinah District 11, Villa Park District 45 and Hinsdale High School District 86; and coaching as needed to Lisle District 202 and West Chicago, District 33, and Downers Grove District 58.
- CASEL SEL Implementation training for District SEL Leadership Teams.
- Opportunities for district SEL leaders to collaborate and share learning related to system-wide SEL implementation through a SEL Professional Learning Community for leaders.
- Data collection tools to measure and monitor progress toward implementing SEL system wide and to inform district decisions.
- Districts, schools, families and communities information and resources in using SEL as an effective approach to address issues related to bullying.