In delivering SEL professional development for districts, the DROE CASEL Partnership established a Professional Learning Community for SEL leaders to share learning and resources around implementing SEL. As a result, all partnering districts have provided direction and actively contributed to the efforts and activities of the partnership’s SEL Professional Learning Community. At the initial meeting district SEL leaders worked together to create the following statement of purpose for the SEL Professional Learning Community:
The SEL Professional Learning Community will meet for the shared purpose of implementing social and emotional learning to promote adult competencies, student achievement and support success in life. In order to support our purpose the work of this group will be characterized by opportunities for:
- Collective inquiry and collaborative sharing;
- Study of current research related to implementing SEL to support student success;
- Exploring how SEL is embedded in all aspects of school improvement efforts (i.e. Comprehensive Planning, Culture and Climate, Leadership, Curriculum; Instruction, Assessment and Data Analysis, and Family/Community Involvement);
- Differentiated learning to meet individual needs;
- Developing and strengthening adult competencies within our school communities; and
- Establishing a network for sharing and mentoring related to social and emotional learning.
DuPage County offers a wide variety of approaches to successful implementation of SEL. For example, a professional learning community meeting in February 2014 offered examples and details of how three of the districts were implementing SEL at the district and school levels. Read more about the PLC meeting and view video segments from the presentations.
Archived SEL Professional Learning Community Meeting Summaries: